For the buns
- 500g strong bread flour
- 300ml full-fat milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 75g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 7g sachet fast-action yeast
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon PureChimp matcha green tea (or regular flavour)
- 75g sultanas or dried cranberries
- 100g chopped white chocolate
- zest 1 orange
For the cross
- 75g plain flour
For the glaze
- 3 tbsp apricot jam
1. Boil the milk, remove from the heat and add 50g butter.
2. Put 500g strong bread flour, 1 ½ tbsp Purechimp matcha tea, 1 tsp salt, 75g caster sugar and 7g sachet fast-action yeast into a bowl.
3. Make a well in the centre & pour in the warm milk/butter mixture, add 1 beaten egg. Mix well with a wooden spoon, then bring everything together with your hands until you have a sticky dough.
4. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 mins until smooth and elastic.
5. Put the dough in a lightly oiled bowl & cover with oiled cling film. Leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hr or until doubled in size.
6. Once risen, tip in 75g sultanas, 100g chopped white chocolate & zest of 1 orange. Knead evenly into the dough.
7. Leave to rise for another 1 hr. Covering with well-oiled cling film.
8. Divide the dough into 14 pieces. Roll each piece into a smooth ball on a lightly floured work surface. Arrange the buns on baking trays lined with parchment, leaving enough space for the dough to expand. Cover with a clean tea towel and set aside to prove for 1 hr.
9. Heat oven to 220C. To make the cross, mix 75g plain flour with 5 tbsp of water, adding the water gradually until you form a paste.
10. Spoon the mix into a piping bag with a small nozzle. Pipe a cross over each bun.
11. Bake for 20 mins on the middle shelf of the oven, until golden brown.
12. Heat 3 tbsp apricot jam until melted & brush over the top of the warm buns.
Best served toasted with butter. Happy Easter!