I have a confession to make…I had no idea how great green tea really was for you until Dean from PureChimp got in touch with me and we chatted at lengths about our skin issues and what we found worked best for us. After my chat with Dean I spent hours researching various science papers on the effects of green tea on acne. I couldn’t believe what I was reading - I’m officially ashamed to call myself an Acne Guru! How did I not know all these incredible scientifically proven benefits of green tea?!
How does green tea help with acne?
Green tea is really high in antioxidants which help fight bacteria and infections and has higher antioxidant levels than spinach, dark chocolate and blueberries! These antioxidants will do their bit to promote healthier skin but the main acne-busting component in green tea is a polyphenol called EGCG. EGCG can help reduce inflammation, balance out hormones and blood sugar levels which are all major factors when it comes to clearing acne.
You don’t always have to drink green tea to reap its benefits. Research shows that green tea also has super-powered beauty benefits when applied topically! As well as fighting acne from the inside, green tea can be used in homemade beauty recipes to reduce inflammation and redness.
Breakout-Busting Matcha Mask
I’ll admit, I’m not a fan of clay masks. I recently did a clay cleanse everyday for 10 days to see if it had any impact on my acne. I was hoping for a blackhead-free, clearer complexion but I actually saw very little change to my skin which may me doubtful of all the ‘absorption’ and ‘toxin pulling’ properties these masks claim to have. However, while a clay mask may not do much for your acne, a weekly nourishing, anti-inflammatory mask that’s full of skin loving ingredients will leave your skin feeling soft, smooth with visibly reduce redness. This mask not only contains all the potent benefits of green tea, but also the blemish-busting, skin soothing properties from raw honey and avocado!
- Honey removes dirt and impurities without stripping your skin of its natural oils. You know those conventional foaming acne face washes? Guaranteed they’ll contain SLS which just strips your skin leaving it dry and prone to excess oil production.
- Like green tea, honey is high in antioxidants which neutralises free radicals which can damage the skin.
- Honey is a great moisturiser - the sugars act as a natural humectant and emollient that increases hydration and reduces dryness in the skin.
- Honey regulates the skins pH which helps promote tissue healing and regeneration.
- Avocado keeps the skin hydrated and helps to reduce fine lines and wrinkles on the skin.
- Avocados can also help in reduce age spots, when applied directly on skin.
- Avocados are a rich source of vitamin A which help to remove dead skin cells effectively from the skin.
- Avocados help in increasing blood circulation in the skin, which is essential for gorgeously glowing skin.
- Avocado oil is easily absorbable and penetrates deep into your skin, leaving it well-cleansed, nourished and baby-soft.
In a small bowl mix the following ingredients together, using the back of a fork to make a smooth paste:
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 teaspoon PureChimp Super Tea Matcha
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
Smooth on skin and let sit for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Wash off thoroughly with warm water and finish by splashing your face with cold water and applying your PureChimp Super Face Cream or Super One Facial Oil!